State – Spirit of Australia Awards (held in 2020)
These awards (one per state) were awarded during 2020 during the COVID-19 pandemic to recognise and celebrate the Australian spirit of mateship.
Australians are renowned to come together to provide unconditional help and support each other during times of need. It is this compassion and kindness that we recognised to acknowledge individuals who have supported those during challenging times.
Winners have made an outstanding contribution to supporting others including:
- Developing initiatives to show kindness to neighbours
- Promoting physical and mental wellbeing in your community
- Helping those less able
- Supporting communities in times of need or creating virtual communities
- Supporting remote workers, keeping them engaged, motivated and recognized
- Adapting work practices to enable remote working
Nominations assessed based on the following criteria:
The extent to which the program or initiative has been able to promote and support the workplace or community they serve, such as access, participation and connection for co-workers, members of the community, and people from disadvantaged and marginalised groups.
Impact The extent to which the program or initiative has benefited co-workers, members of the community, and people from disadvantaged and marginalized groups.
Innovation The level of creativity, imagination, and innovation demonstrated within the program or initiative.