The Water Industry Operators Association of Australia Ltd (WIOA) is committed to protecting the privacy rights of all our individual members or stakeholders. WIOA respects the privacy rights of individuals and through implementing this policy, seeks to comply with the Australian Privacy Principles outlined in the Privacy Amendment Act 2012 (Commonwealth).
The purpose of this policy is to detail WIOA’s commitment to and procedures for ensuring the ongoing privacy of members and stakeholders in relation to the collection, maintenance and use of personal information.
WIOA is committed to protecting the privacy of personal information it collects, holds and administers. WIOA collects and administers a range of personal information for purposes including, but not limited to:
- Enabling us to provide a service and/or products
- Enabling us to carry out a transaction as requested
- Allowing us to provide effective customer service
- Allowing us to communicate other services, events and/or products.
WIOA recognises the essential right of individuals to have their information administered in ways which they would reasonably expect – protected on one hand, and made accessible to them on the other. These privacy values are reflected in and supported by our core values and philosophies.
4. Privacy Principles
The Privacy Act contains thirteen information privacy principles that provide a framework which imposes specific obligations when it comes to the collection and handling of personal information. WIOA’s commitment regarding how we will meet the requirements of the principles is outlined below.
4.1 Openness and Collection of Solicited Personal Information
- Collect only personal information necessary for the performance of our primary function;
- This information can consist of names, addresses, telephone and/or fax numbers, email addresses, gender, qualifications held and date of birth.
- We do not collect more personal information than is necessary and we collect information in a lawful and fair manner.
- Wherever possible, we will collect personal information from members and stakeholders directly, whether by letter, telephone, facsimile, email, in person or via our website.
- We will endeavour to provide members and stakeholders with a “collection notice” when we collect personal information. This means that we will provide information about our collection and handling of personal information.
- Sometimes it may be necessary for us to collect personal information about members or stakeholders from third parties. If it is not practicable for us to collect this information from members or stakeholders directly, we will take reasonable steps to ensure members or stakeholders are aware of the collection.
- We may also use third parties to collect and handle personal information on our behalf. When we engage others to undertake services or activities on our behalf, the contract or agreement will include an assurance that the privacy of members or stakeholders will be protected.
WIOA supports the right of our members or stakeholders to remain anonymous in their transactions with us. Where it is possible to do so, we will give members or stakeholders the option of dealing with us anonymously.
4.3 Use & Disclosure
We only use or disclose personal information for the primary purpose for which it was collected. For example, to respond to a query, to provide a service or to complete a transaction. Sometimes, we may need to use or disclose personal information for a secondary purpose. We will only do this with the consent of the member or stakeholder, or where legislation otherwise authorises the use or disclosure.
4.4 Sensitive Personal Information
We do not usually collect sensitive information. If we do, it will be with the consent of members or stakeholders, or as otherwise authorised by the Privacy Act.
4.5 Unique Identifiers
We do not use unique identifiers unless it is necessary to enable us to carry out our functions efficiently. “Unique identifiers” are identifiers (usually a number) used to identify individuals uniquely.
4.6 Data Quality
We will take reasonable steps to make sure the personal information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete and up to date.
4.7 Data Security
We are committed to holding the personal information of members or stakeholders securely. We will take reasonable steps to destroy or de identify personal information if it is no longer needed and if the law permits us to do so.
4.8 Access and Correction
Members or stakeholders have certain rights to access and correct their own personal information. If members or stakeholders wish to access or correct their own personal information, they should email or write to WIOA. All queries will be dealt with promptly and under the appropriate legislation.
Members or stakeholders have the opportunity to make a complaint if they believe WIOA’s has breached their privacy. If you believe a breach has occurred, please do not hesitate to contact the WIOA Privacy Officer and we will endeavour to resolve your issue.
Contacting us regarding a privacy issue
Water Industry Operators Association of Australia Ltd
PO Box 6012, Shepparton, Victoria, 3632
Phone: +61 3 5821 6744
Fax: +61 3 5821 6033
Authorised by: WIOA Chairman, Mr Jim Martin
Effective Date: 24 July 2014
Review Date: 24 July 2016
Normal web site usage statement
You can visit our web site at www.wioa.org.au and view information about WIOA, its services and events, corporate partners, view archived conference papers etc, without telling WIOA who you are and without revealing any personal information. When users visit our web site, we track only the following information:
- Internet Service Provider
- Pages requested by each user
- Time and date of user requests
Tracking or passive information collection technologies
Last updated on